Messaging vs. subroutines

Dwight Hughes dwighth at ipa.net
Mon May 17 04:19:44 UTC 1999

I have attached Alan Kay's note to the Squeak list on meaages and
messaging below. Notice that Alan considers messaging to be far more
fundamental and important to Smalltalk than objects. My personal view is
that one can conceptually derive object oriented programming (and all
its related details) from the general concept of messaging -- that a
message can then be mapped to a machine level subroutine once everything
has been resolved is merely an implementation detail relevant to current
"normal" computer architectures, not a fundamental relation.

-- Dwight