PWS Resource Utilization

O'NEEL Bruce beoneel at mindspring.com
Wed May 26 09:08:20 UTC 1999

bparsia at email.unc.edu writes:
 > My current advice is that if you see this problem, drop back to 2.1. If
 > anyone *is* running 2.2 or greater wthout
 > this problem, please let me know!

Hi,
  I run 2.4c and have run 2.3 on both a 68k powerbook as well as a PPC
powerbook, both of them older and slower, and notice no real slowdown
with PWS.  I do pretty heavy development work on a PWS application on
100mhz 603e (think 120mhz Pentium) and the UI is just as fast whether
or not I run PWS.  I also run a Swiki on my 040 powerbook (think slow
486 or so) with Scamper and it runs fine.  It doesn't slow down any
when I start up PWS, and trust me here, I'd notice almost any
slowdown, it's slow enough as it is :-)

  Looking at PWS Class loopOnPort:loggingTo: I wonder if the problem
with other systems isn't in the Delay forMilliseconds:100 send at the
bottom?  If you didn't delay, or, if the delay was calculated wrong it
would spin very fast.  Maybe...

cheers

bruce

--
Reality is 80m polygons - Alvy Ray Smith
Bruce O'Neel - beoneel at mindspring.com
http://homepage.iprolink.ch/~bioneel/beo/beo.html - daily stuff