update 1164

Richard L. Peskin rlpcon at vermontel.net
Mon May 3 16:59:55 UTC 1999

Scott -- Here is some of the debug info you requested for update 1164.
At 10:05 PM -0700 5/1/99, Scott.Wallace at disney.com wrote:
>In trying to track down this problem, it would help to find out just which
>method was being recompiled (presumably some method in class Project) when
>the error happens, so, if you would, please try to load updates afresh and
>when you bump into the "selector changed" problem again, bring up the
>debugger, and take a look at the method which felt the error, which should
>be Behavior.recompile:from:, and see what the value of the "selector" and
>"oldClass" parameters are, and also evaluate "methodNode selector" in that
>method.
In Behavior.recompile:from: --
selector is resumeProcess
oldClass is Project
However, the method window for methodNode looks like some characters are
missing. That is methodNode (on the first path where the selector changed
error occurs) is:
cess
"comment stuff"
<method details>
Evaluating  'methodsNode selector' returns "cess" (which confirms the above).

If I manually try to fix this by adding in Pro (to get Process), I get a
similar problem on the next pass through. The method window for methodNode
starts with "erminate...." which I assume should be "terminate...."

These problems are consistently reproducible by update over the net. That
is, the missing characters are being sent everytime. My environment is
rather standard, a PowerMac 9500 with 604e processor running 8.1.

>A stack dump (i.e. the .debug file) might also be useful, as well as any
>additional information you can provide that might help explain what's
>different between your environment and the environments of those who don't
>experience the problem.
I'm attaching this but it is not very useful.

Let me know what else I can do.
--dick
--------
Debug.log
selector changed!
3 May 1999 12:46:53 pm
Project class(Object)>>error:
Project class(Behavior)>>recompile:from:
[] in Project class(Behavior)>>compileAllFrom:
MethodDictionary>>keysDo:
Project class(Behavior)>>selectorsDo:
Project class(Behavior)>>compileAllFrom:
Project class(Class)>>compileAllFrom:
Project
class(ClassDescription)>>validateFrom:in:instanceVariableNames:methods:wasPresen
t:
Project class(Class)>>validateFrom:in:instanceVariableNames:methods:wasPresent:
Metaclass>>name:inEnvironment:subclassOf:instanceVariableNames:variable:words:po
inters:weak:classVariableNames:poolDictionaries:category:comment:changed:
Model
class(Class)>>subclass:instanceVariableNames:classVariableNames:poolDictionaries
:category:
UndefinedObject>>DoIt
Compiler>>evaluate:in:to:notifying:ifFail:
Compiler class>>evaluate:for:notifying:logged:
Compiler class>>evaluate:for:logged:
Compiler class>>evaluate:logged:
[] in RWBinaryOrTextStream(ReadWriteStream)>>fileInAnnouncing:
String>>displayProgressAt:from:to:during:
RWBinaryOrTextStream(ReadWriteStream)>>fileInAnnouncing:
ChangeSorter class>>newChangesFromStream:named:
[] in Utilities class>>readServerUpdatesThrough:saveLocally:updateImage:
UndefinedObject>>ifNil:
[] in Utilities class>>readServerUpdatesThrough:saveLocally:updateImage:
OrderedCollection>>do:
[] in Utilities class>>readServerUpdatesThrough:saveLocally:updateImage:
CursorWithMask(Cursor)>>showWhile:
Utilities class>>readServerUpdatesThrough:saveLocally:updateImage:
Utilities class>>readServerUpdatesSaveLocally:updateImage:
Utilities class>>updateFromServer
ScreenController>>absorbUpdatesFromServer
ScreenController>>popUpMenuFor:
ScreenController>>presentHelpMenu
ScreenController>>yellowButtonActivity
ScreenController>>redButtonActivity
ScreenController(MouseMenuController)>>controlActivity
ScreenController(Controller)>>controlLoop
ScreenController(Controller)>>startUp
[] in ControlManager>>activeController:
[] in BlockContext>>newProcess

R. L. Peskin,  Rutgers Univ.