Comparing Associations

Jarvis, Robert P. Jarvisb at timken.com
Thu May 27 19:28:46 UTC 1999

If I recall correctly the Squeak Central people aren't in any great rush to
be "ANSI compliant".  Squeak is to be the "next" Smalltalk (in the tradition
of Smalltalk-80, Smalltalk-78, Smalltalk-76, -74, and -72, where each newer
version made its predecessor obsolete).  Looking through the draft version
of the standard I have available to me it looks like the Association class
is not part of the standard.  The following is used as the definition of the
Dictionary class:

	1.1.1	Protocol: <Dictionary>
	Conforms To
		<abstractDictionary>
	Revision History
		Draft 1: April 20, 1995 -- Brian M. Barry
			Initial draft
		9/97 group review/revision at Aylmer meeting
	Description
		Represents an unordered collection whose elements can be
accessed using an explicitly assigned external key. Key equivalence is
defined as sending the #= message.
	Messages
		none

So it looks like Association is simply an implementation artifact, as is the
definition of the #= message when sent to an Association.  So it looks like
they're all "conforming" implementation.

Bob Jarvis
The Timken Company