Linux Squeak doesn't respond to command line options - Now FLASH BUG

Peter William Lount peter at smalltalk.org
Mon May 24 22:35:40 UTC 1999

Hi,

Thanks. The memory is now being set to what I want.

However, the real problem is with the FlashFileStream attempting to create
a very very large ByteArray so even "-memory 100m" does not help.

I get a "Space is Low" dialog box when opening a file with "Open As Flash"
in the file list. The error occurs in primitive 71. in the message "new:"
sent to the class "ByteArray" with a parameter of, get this,
"2,197,815,309". I guess this is asking too much even when I set the memory
very very large! I only have 1 GB of swap space allocated! Obviously the
bug is else where in the flash code.

The error seems to be occuring in FlashFileStream>>nextTag on the second
last line of the method. The temp variable "word" is equal to 831. 831
bitAnd: 16r3F evaluates to 63. This triggers the true block condition which
sets length to "2, 197, 815,309". So the nextULong method is returning a
bogus length.

The same "flash" files open and play on my Intel Laptop but not my Intel
Linux box. Could FTP have modified the bytes in the flash files?

Peter