sticky input focus

shaping at bigfoot.com shaping at bigfoot.com
Fri May 7 14:17:58 UTC 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Bert Freudenberg <bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De>
To: <squeak at cs.uiuc.edu>
Sent: Friday, May 07, 1999 5:40 AM
Subject: RE: sticky input focus

> > > Has anyone implemented "sticky" input focus (as in Windows), whereby
> > > clicking in a view places the focus there even if the mouse is moved
> > > out of the view?  I'm having trouble using the debugger effectively
> > > without this.
> >
> > I am curious precisely what it is you are trying to accomplish that
> > requires this feature?  I have found the debugger astoundingly robust
> > from a U-I standpoint compared to debuggers I have used in other
> > systems.
>
> One problem might be this: When stepping with keys and simultaneously
> working with the mouse in the text area it happens that the stack is
> defocused - so occasionally cmd-e or cmd-t gets inserted in the text.

I don't have this problem.  Rather, the selected text in the method pane
loses its selection when the mouse moves over the stack pane and then back
to the method pane.  I then have to go back to the stack pane and step or
send in order see again in the method pane where I was (the selected is
reestablished on the next send).  This seems clumsy, and hasn't anyting to
do with the focus protocol.

> IMHO that's not a problem of non-sticky focus (I just love the
> focus-follows-mouse principle)

It does have its joys, but can be difficult to work with when the
mouse-to-cursor gain is maxed (as mine is).  I habitually throw the mouse a
little out of the way when I move back to the keyboard, in order that the
mouse cursor not visually distort characters typed into an input field.  I'm
throwing the mouse a little far, and have to reform my motor habits.  The
overthrow is easy because I can at current gain move the cursor across a 17"
screen with about 3 cm of mouse movement.

In general, what about changing the visual appearance of widgets (buttons,
say) when the cursor passes over them, but the window containing them
doesn't have focus?  Has anyone done this?

Shaping