update 1164

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at launchpados.com
Mon May 3 20:46:50 UTC 1999

If at any point the expansion of a compressed file invokes the use of
Stuffit or Stuffit Expander, the preferences set in the application will
determine how the EOL characters in the file are treated.  This will
sometimes happen even if the the file is ".sea" (self-extracting archive)
if the browser settings are set up that way.  I had similar "out-of-sync"
errors on 2.4 until I beat Stuffit into submission.

Bottom line - check your Stuffit prefs.

>At 10:46 AM -0700 5/3/99, Dan Ingalls wrote:
>>Guys -
>>
>>This is almost certainly a problem with your .changes file, most likely
>>due to erroneous text conversion during download or unpacking.  The
>>selector-has-changed error is complaining during a recompilation,
>>indicating that your prior source code is not in good shape.  You can
>>verify this by browsing to Process>>resumeProcess *before* attempting to
>>update.
>>
>>I have run the same update without error, and have verified that the
>>update in question is identical on each of our redundant servers.
>>
>Just so we are all on the same wavelength, I downloaded 2.4b again. First I
>used the "packaged" MacBinary (Squeak2.4b.sea.bin). I got the same (update
>1164) selector error again, even with the freshly downloaded .changes.
>
>I then downloaded the uncompressed .changes file (Squeak2.4b.changes)
>directly from the archive. Using this copy of the .changes, I was able to
>update (including 1164) with no problem.
>
>Don't have clue as to why.
>--dick

>R. L. Peskin,  Rutgers Univ.
>;<peskin at caip.rutgers.edu>;<http://www.caip.rutgers.edu/~peskin>
>RLP Consulting <rlpcon at sover.net>; <http://www.sover.net/~rlpcon>

Duane Maxwell         dmaxwell (at) launchpados.com
CTO                      http://www.launchpados.com
Launchpad, Inc.                 (619) 578-8500 x226

Information contained herein is my personal opinion
    and not necessarily that of Launchpad, Inc.