size of interp.c

Richard L. Peskin rlpcon at vermontel.net
Sat May 8 03:56:47 UTC 1999

At 8:12 PM -0400 5/6/99, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:
>Please understand that interp.c is NOT source code -- its OBJECT
>code, translated to C from the interpreter source codes.
>Accordingly, its no surprise that you would find the code unreadable
>-- in the form you are reading it, it has already had comments
>cleared, inlines inserted and details munged.
>
>The source code is written in Smalltalk, not C, and is available
>under Squeak in the several classes in category Squeak-Interpreter,
>and it is beautiful to behold.  Understanding this is fundamental to
>understanding Squeak's core design principles.  More can be gleaned
>on this point from the excellent "Back to the Future" article,
>available at the Squeak web site.

This is "ideally" good philosophy but in practice may not be helpful in
certain cases. In working on the BeOS port, I have found the need to check
interp.c for possilbe symbol name conflicts and the number of functions in
interp.c stresses even good tools like BBEdit. Additionally, I have just
run into a case where the size of interp.c exceed the compiler capabilities
forcing me to split interp.c.
--dick

R. L. Peskin,  Rutgers Univ.
;<peskin at caip.rutgers.edu>;<http://www.caip.rutgers.edu/~peskin>