Ctrl, Alt and Menu keys (was: RE: Thinking about a better UI)

Norton, Chris chrisn at Kronos.com
Tue May 18 18:32:18 UTC 1999

Lex Spoon [lex at cc.gatech.edu] wrote:
> OR, just make the text editors in Squeak themselves be customizable.
> Like, have an alt versus control setting.  No need to actually remap the
> keyboard, which can have annoying consquences down the line.  (I use
> Dvorak for most things, but I often switch it back to Qwerty when playing
> games, because it often just really helps to have the keys in their
> "standard" place.  It would be nicer if there were systems that used
> Dvorak for text entry, and left the keyboard as Qwerty for other purposes,
> so I didn't have to do the switching!) -- Lex

[Norton, Chris]  Hi Lex & Steven.  My earlier e-mail suggested a
KeyboardPolicy and OsPolicy objects to handle both of these cases.  There is
no reason why you couldn't have a default KeyboardPolicy for your OS /
hardware, and still have multiple, swappable, KeyboardPolicy objects that
you could apply to a specific use (i.e. to a Workspace, or to a ListBox).

If you get a chance, I encourage you to look over my earlier e-mail.  I am
actively looking for helpful, enthusiastic & otherwise cheery  replies from
the community on this stuff (please no bashing... I hate bashing ;-).  In
reality, the only way a generic mechanism like I described could exist is if
we all choose to adopt it.

---==> Chris