Thinking about a better UI

Pennell's pennell at tiac.net
Sat May 15 11:57:37 UTC 1999

Joachim Durchholz <joachim.durchholz at munich.netsurf.de> wrote:

>jecel at lsi.usp.br wrote:
>>
>> I find it very ironic that none of the Windows users I know actually
>> do use "windows". All their applications run in the "maximized" mode
>> and they switch between them using the buttons on the bar at the
>> bottom of the screen.
>
>Not me.
>I think this has to do with available screen resolution. I had all
>programs maximized on 640x480, and most on 800x600, but with 1024x768
>and up I do not maximized very much anymore.

I used to think that resolution was driving my habits too.  I think they are based
more on the task at hand and the interrupt load of the day.  Even at 1024x768,
I still maximize most things and use ALT-TAB to switch between windows.  If
its a normal day with zillions of interruptions, I find this helps to minimize the
distractions.  Perhaps stonger UI hints regarding the focus (such as a fish-eye
system) would help.  If I'm in a task that REQUIRES me to look at multiple related
windows, then I'll do it.  Otherwise, I prefer not to waste my time with resizing and
repositioning windows.  Perhaps this explains the re-emergence of multi-pane
UI style (tiling at the app level rather than the entire windowing system)  in many
of the current generation of applications.  I find it convenient to start of with a paned
or tiled view that allows me to spawn new windows (UI contexts) at my convenience.

-david