PWS Resource Utilization

bparsia at email.unc.edu bparsia at email.unc.edu
Tue May 25 18:53:45 UTC 1999

--On Tuesday, May 25, 1999, 11:25 AM -0700 "Laurence Rozier"
<lrozier at thepattern.com> wrote:

> When I start PWS, performance throughout the rest of my Squeak
> environment takes a nose dive. Simple things like selecting a window
> have a noticeable delay. I tried tweaking the secondsBetweenBackups := 1
> * (60 * 60) and the Delay forMilliseconds: 100 behaviors in the
> loopOnPort:loggingTo: method but to no avail. Any suggestions?

My guess is that your Squeak version is > 2.1. Something happened somewhere
around 2.2/2.3
that causes this problem. I've seen it on Macs and Windows. 2.1, OTOH runs
fine.

Worse, not everyone  seems to see it. I've spent some hours digging around
and I've tenatively
concluded that it's a VM problem.  Next step, I suppose, is to compare the c
code for the
network primatives between 2.1 and 2.4.

I wouldn't mind this as much as it's not *just* the UI or other processes
slowing down--the server slows
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down. (No, the vowels were
*not* superfluous! :))

I have yet to test Comache (the next generation PWS) though I intend to this
week. If it exhibits the problem,
well, it'll be another data point!

My current advice is that if you see this problem, drop back to 2.1. If
anyone *is* running 2.2 or greater wthout
this problem, please let me know!

Cheers,
Bijan.