Linefeeds in Squeak source code

Blake McBride blake at florida-software.com
Tue May 11 20:23:24 UTC 1999

I think you should only eliminate LF's which are coupled
with CR's.  This way if the programmer want's a LF by itself
they can.

At 12:47 PM 5/11/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Folks -
>
>Right now I'm busy with some other stuff, but I do have an approach to
>suggest that should minimize the problems we have with linefeeds and text
>conversion.  The main situation I want to avoid is where a newbie gets
>Squeak in a manner that adds linefeeds, and can't browse or get updates.
>Being a newbie means you don't even know where to look for the problem, and
>you may not even know how to ask for help from the Squeak list.
>
>Here's the proposal:
>
>A.  Each time Squeak starts up, it reads the first 200 characters of each of
>the sources files.  If it finds a LF, then it tells the user that this is
>the case, that it shouldn't be so, that it probably came from conversion
>during download, that it can be fixed, and then asks for confirmation to
do so.

>If confirmed, Squeak would simply copy the entire file omitting all LFs.  We
>have taken pains in the past to ensure that there are no naturally occurring
>LFs in the Squeak sources, so this will work for any Squeak release.
>
>B.  Without coming up with the "right" thing to do for fileOuts (I use a Mac
>and only CRs), we could modify the code for broadcasting updates to check
>for the presence of LFs, and either abort the update or remove the LFs on
>the fly.
>
>This would seem to solve the most common problems.  The one remaining
>situation I can imagine is that someone works in such a way that they
>introduce LFs in their changes, and then transfers their image in a way that
>introduces LFs in the rest of the sources.  In this case the automatic
>removal would do the wrong thing in the area of the user's changes.  This
>should be rare, but it's the reason for asking to confirm the removal in (A)
>above.
>
>	- Dan

-------
Download source code to my Dynace Object Oriented
Extension to C and Windows Development System from:
http://www.florida-software.com/algorithms
Blake McBride (blake at florida-software.com)
Algorithms Corporation - 615-791-1636 - USA