Linefeeds in Squeak source code

agree at carltonfields.com agree at carltonfields.com
Tue May 11 20:55:00 UTC 1999

These particular text files (".source" and ".changes") aren't really text files per se -- in a meaningful sense, they are data-files of records comprising text, which are pointed to by the compiled memory image objects.  Although they are stored in what appears to be text files from the Macintosh point of view, modifying them by adding characters will change the offsets and confuse squeak to no end.  Since these are created and manipulated by squeak from within squeak, local operating system ideosyncracies have no bearing on how they are gathered.  I am unaware of any "in-squeak" reason these files would contain CRLF or LF combinations, so I don't see how Dan's idea would be suspect.