Event triggers - new improved diet lite...

Peter Smet peter.smet at flinders.edu.au
Thu May 27 06:35:54 UTC 1999

Mark,

I have just opened a virgin 2.4b image, filed in the
second changeset (23may) that I posted, and simply
typed 'PostOffice start' in the transcript.
(remember, this is just a testing process - you dont
need to do anything with the PostOffice class itself
to use events - that protocol is all defined in Object).

It runs the background process with no errors,
and has been doing so for about 15 minutes.
This is on a pentium 133 laptop with win NT.

Are you on a mac or a pc?
Would you be able to do the same and verify
that you still get the same error? I would be
very interested in tracking down this problem
if we can reproduce it.

Anyone else on the list tried this and had problems??

I also tried a few basic things in the clean image,
which also worked as expected:

2 when: #bang send: #show: to: Transcript with: 'ouch'
2 trigger: #bang

(the transcript window will print 'ouch').

One potential source of errors in the testing environment is that
having to break out of the testing thread may leave the finalization
process, semaphores, etc in an inconsistent state.
The best way to do the initial
tests is just to try some simple lines like the above. If that works,
then try the "PostOffice start". If the PostOffice start works, good.
The safest thing to do then is quit the image without saving.
That way, there will be no backgrounds threads etc interfering with
any other tests you may do. "start" is a pretty heavy duty test - it
will literally create thousands of objects for the garbage collector.

Anyway, let me know how you go.

Peter