Thinking about a better UI

Joachim Durchholz joachim.durchholz at munich.netsurf.de
Sun May 16 19:32:24 UTC 1999

"Randal L. Schwartz" wrote:

> What is novel about Smalltalk is that conceptually, decision and
> iteration are handled by message sends, ...

This is exactly the sort of verbal bubble that I meant: you don't say
what you mean by "message send". You don't say in what ways is differs
from ordinary subroutine calls, and in what ways it is similar.
<sardonic>  You just drop that "message send" name and expect everybody
to stand in awe. </sardonic>

> ... even though the modern compilers optimize the actual sends away.

Optimizations are largely irrelevant when it comes to concepts.

Regards,
Joachim

P.S. would you please *not* CC to me directly? I keep getting the reply
first, and end up replying to you privately instead of on the list.
Thanks a lot.
JD
--
Please don't send unsolicited ads.