Thinking about a better UI

Steve Wart swart at home.com
Sun May 16 04:46:30 UTC 1999

This is grand, but I think it may miss the point of the original quote. I
think that Smalltalk programmers are still programmers in spite of their
"more elegant" thought processes.

Like all programmers, we still have a nasty bias toward thinking about
problems in a way that is often completely alien to the needs of the person
at the receiving end of these thought processes.

It is dangerous to be smug. Results are everything.

Smalltalk may make things work out better in the longer term, but that could
easily be more a matter of individual philosophy and discipline than of any
inherit benefits of the language.

Squeakers are astoundingly bold in their willingness to tackle the most
difficult technical problems and prove that "it can be done" with Smalltalk.

Human interface is probably the hardest problem of all.
Can it be done better with Smalltalk?

Steve