Talking to UNIX co-processes from within Squeak?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat May 15 12:43:08 UTC 1999

> I seem to remember someone (IanP?) having written a set of prims for
> UNIX platforms that allow Squeak to talk to UNIX co-processes via
> streams to stdIO of the other process. I can't seem to locate any
> reference to it now. Am I hallucinating (about this, that is, not in
> general)? Am I overlooking something that's right in front of me?
>
> ...any pointers appreciated...
>
> --
>
> _ Stephen Travis Pope
> _ stp at create.ucsb.edu, http://www.create.ucsb.edu/~stp/

I believe that there was some discussion about this a while back, but
to the best of my knowledge nothing has been implemented.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to implement the basics to
support this in pluggable primatives, but my progress is slow (not
because it's a difficult problem; I'm just slow figuring it out).

The things we need access to at the OS level should be just a few
basics like getpid(2), fork(2), exec(2), pipe(2), and access to
the streams on stdin, stdout, and stderr. So far I can do getpid()
and I've half way figured out access to the stdin/stdout/stderr
streams. I'll let you know in a few weeks if I get to a point where
this might be useful.