Squeak and ST in general etc.

Stefan Rieken StefanRieken at SoftHome.net
Tue Nov 16 22:59:09 UTC 1999

Torsten.Bergmann at phaidros.com wrote:

[I've cut your entire speach away but honestly, I DID read it %) ]

You're right of saying that Squeak is so complete. In some things it
couldn't even compete in completeness with a Debian Linux - distribution
:o) And what's more: in Squeak it doesn't merely consist of third party
products*)!

So what I wonder is: could we port Squeak to native hardware, as an OS?
Geez, I'd LIKE to see THAT! It would also be very good for Squeak's
image towards the world, I guess. Seeing it as an OS rather than as a
playroom (Anyway the word "playroom" also attracks people, but it scares
others).

(Abot Smalltalk/X: maybe it's good, but it seems like it's hardly
maintained. Broken links on the site, missing info etc. After getting
"segmentation fault"s when compiling (or even use binaries!) of GNU and
Little Smalltalk I didn't feel like going through that mess, too. You've
encouraged me to give it another try, though.)

I have another question, and I'll put it directly here: what is Disney's
interest in Squeak? They have never promoted themselves as software
researchers. But I guess they must be then, because Squeak has not been
developed to render Toy Story 2, right? (Would have been nice though...)

Greets,

Stefan

*) Yeah, I know Squeak is merely a quilt of third-party additions, but
you don't see it on the outside, do you? ;-)