A Proposal for Project Layers

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Nov 15 14:38:30 UTC 1999

I have a couple of questions about the Project Layers work -- please
excuse if they're too early in the process:

(1) I decided to try again with externalizing a Wonderland in a 2.7a
image with all updates.

First, I did in a workspace:
w := Wonderland new.

Then in the Wonderland, I loaded up my Favorite Generic Purple
Dinosaur, and moved him around (including spinning his head around
demonically a few times :-), then typed back in the original
workspace:

(ImageSegment new copyFromRootsForExport: (Array with: w))
		writeForExport: 'wonderland.extSeg'.

I got an error "Trying to write out, AnObsoleteWonderlandActor2"  Is
the complete externalized segment system not in the update stream
yet, or am I using it incorrectly?

(2) Which leads into my second question: How will one associate
classes with an externalized segment?  If I create an Active Essay in
a Project, creating some new classes in the process, how do I get my
new classes to save out when I save out an externalized version of
the Package containing the Project?  My (limited) understanding of
the segmentation system is that it saves out the objects in the
project/package, but not necessarily the class definitions associated
with those objects -- is that correct?

Thank you!
   Mark
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu