Squeak on HP-UX: help

Enrico Spinielli espinielli at lucent.com
Tue Nov 23 16:02:15 UTC 1999

Hi,
I am really interested in learning SmallTalk and having fun using it
within Squeak, but I have problems in running squeak...
*) "Welcome To..." the following does not work:
   Sound       --> application hangs, see below "Play With Me - 8"
   Networking  --> application hangs

*) "Play With Me - 7"    -> says "can't open ./Squeak3D.so: Unresolved
external"

*) "Play With Me - 4"    -> I cannot change
   to the next page of the document, and hangs

*) "Play With Me - 7" I cannot enter the project because of the
   following:
     can't open ./Squeak3D.so: Unresolved external
   I am running from a squeak from a directory where I have *.so,
   Squeak2.6.image, Squeak2.6.changes, SqueakV2.sources available...

*) "Play With Me - 8" does not work, I tried to execute the first
   statement I receive a debug window titled "MessageNotUnderstood:
binary"

*) And every time I select a "move to trash" (circle with X inside) for
a morph
  object the application hangs

I have compiled squeak making the following changes due to
friendliness of HP environment!-):
a) installed and compiled an implementation for libdl
   as posted in this mailing list by Juan Cires Martinez
   http://www.stat.umn.edu/~luke/xls/projects/dlbasics/dlbasics.html
   export CPPFLAGS="-I/lbuild/local/include"
   where /lbuild/local is the directory where I have installed it

b) compiled sqUnixNetwork.c with (thanks to HP!-):
   -D_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED      ---> in order to find gethostbyname/
                                      gethostbyaddr

c) added the following in INCS in Makefile for the platform:
   -I/lbuild/local/include       ---> for making #include <dlfnc.h>
                                      work in sqUnixExternalPrims.c

d) modified LDFLAGS in Makefile for the platform from "-rdynamic"
   (which is not recognized by my gcc, I am using
   "gcc version 2.95 19990728 (release)") to:
   -Wl,-E
   Without this I cannot see anything inside "Play With Me - 2"

The compilation works fine with no warnings at all

What am I doing wrong? Any hint? Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance
bye
--
Enrico Spinielli