[BUG] Can't play SWF files

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at entrypoint.com
Fri Nov 5 18:56:26 UTC 1999

Mark et al.,

Most of the movies on the Web nowadays are Flash 4.  Squeak only
understands Flash 3. However - you can fool Squeak by changing:

FlashFileReader>>maximumSupportedVersion
	^ 4

This makes it consume many (most?) Flash 4 files.  However, and audio will
be nonsense - Flash 4 apparently uses MP3 for its sound and Squeak will
attempt to play it as SampledSound.  You can quickly shut the sound down by
hacking

FlashMorph>>playFlashSound:

These are just hacks until whoever (Andreas?) updates Squeak Flash.

>I should have tested this before sending out my earlier email, but now that
>I have some SWF files on disk (Thanks, Ivan, for the method, and David
>Cramer for the pointer), I can't play them from 2.6 or 2.7a.  When I try to
>"open as Flash" from the fileList, I get an error that "Message not
>understood: +" in FlashSpriteMorph>>step method.  lastStepTime is nil.  I
>tried setting it to Time millisecondClockValue in initialize, but that just
>opens up an empty FlashPlayerMorph which does nothing.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks!
> Mark

Duane Maxwell          dmaxwell (at) entrypoint.com
CTO                       http://www.entrypoint.com
EntryPoint                      (619) 578-8500 x226

Information contained herein is my personal opinion
     and not necessarily that of EntryPoint.