[BUG] Freecell

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Tue Nov 30 15:21:06 UTC 1999

>>I repeatedly find myself in positions where I attempt to pick up a
>>stack of cards in proper order, but am unable to do so (only the
>>card I clicked appears, and the stack cannot be moved).
>>
>>This most commonly happens when the shuffle coincidentally lays the
>>cards in proper stacking order, but also seems to occur when I move
>>a stack onto a card, and then try to lift the "new" stack to another
>>place.
>>
>>Am I missing something?
>
>AFAIK you can¥t really move stacks, just single cards. Only if there
>are enough free cells to hold the stack minus one card you may move a
>stack.

Yes.  I put in the stack hack.  Georg is correct -- you can only move single cards by the game def.  But you frequently discover that with N cells free and M stacks open, you can move stacks of a certain size (Think of it as a macro ;-).  I figured out the limit once (something like N*(2^M)), but (a) I don't know if I got it right, and (b) if the destination is one of the open stacks, then the numbe is reduced, and I may not have handled that right (though I tried)  The idea was: Let the user pick up stacks up to the max size that could be moved and, if he drops it in an open stack such that it would not have been possible, abort the move upon the drop.  [Some other FreeCell programs know both source and dest when they start the move so it is simpler:  the move either happens or it doesn't].

	- Dan