Does InterpreterSimulator still work in 2.6?

Ian Piumarta Ian.Piumarta at inria.fr
Wed Nov 17 16:08:29 UTC 1999

Hi Stefan,

> (InterpreterSimulator new openOn: 'sma2.6.image') test

1.   start up and then save+quit "sma2.6" on your local machine.

2.   (InterpreterSimulator new openOn: 'sma2.6.image') test

If that doesn't work,

2b.  (InterpreterSimulator new openOn: 'sma2.6.image') test

If that doesn't work, you found a bug.

Regards,

Ian

PS: You might have a bug anyway.  I recently spotted what I think
might cause problems in some of the "internal" loop code.  The
internal #internalFindNewMethod relies on lkupClass being set from
outside, but the external #findNewMethod doesn't -- and then one of
the primtives (I forget which one, but it might have been one of the
#performs or somewhere in the #at: cache) goes snooping at lkupClass.
I didn't spend the time necessary to figure out if there was ever a
path to looking at lkupClass without it being correctly set, but there
is certainly a time bomb in there waiting to go off...  (FWIW, the
interpSimulator works fine on PPC and the [interpSimLSB on Intel] for
me -- but I took out all the internal stuff a few weeks ago [when I
noticed the above problem] for the benefit of "other" execution
mechanisms... ;-)