[ENH] Desktop Menu

Pennell, David dpennell at quallaby.com
Thu Nov 4 13:06:13 UTC 1999

> Is the aim in Squeak to eventually move most of the morphs in
> 'applications' like Tetris/FreeCell etc into SystemWindows,
> or will people
> be using a system where there are lots of 'naked' morphs on
> the desktop?
>
> Do people prefer working in SystemWindows, or using Halo and 'naked'
> morphs? Or is there a third option?

I find both styles appropriate.  If my morph encapsulates an independent
application (like FreeCell), I prefer to run it in a SystemWindow.
You can quickly collapse it when you want to look busy :>)
If I want to embed it in another Morph (e.g. BookMorph), I leave
it bare.

I think some may be working with bare morphs because of the
"Add a new morph" menu. I remember my first trip into Morphic Land and
it took a little digging to find the right protocol for opening one
directly.  I recently added "openInWindow" and its relatives to Morph
to make it easier to open any single Morph in a SystemWindow.

-david