page width

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Tue Nov 9 20:13:04 UTC 1999

I don't want to drag this subject out too long, but hopefully this will be
a semi-definitive answer.

There are two different ways in which text email can travel around the
world:

1.  The message text can have <cr>'s inserted by the outgoing email
program, normally every 75 or 80 or so columns.  This way, someone else's
email reader won't have to worry about how to compose the text.

Or,

2.  The message text will not have any extra <cr>'s inserted by the
outgoing email program, it will only have <cr>'s at the end of each
paragraph, which is how an email message is normally typed in.  In this
case, the recipient's email reader will have to be configured to wrap long
lines (most are by default), otherwise the recipient will have to do a lot
of horizontal scrolling, as Albert described.

(Well, there's also 3. The message text will be in a non-text format such
as html or Microsoft Word, which I won't comment on, except to say that it
is a bad thing. :-) )

Most outgoing email software tends to insert <cr>'s as in #1.  Some don't,
though, including Craig's emailer.

The question is, is it the responsibility of the outgoing mail software to
add the <cr>'s (#1), or should it be the responsibility of the email
reader to do this (#2)?  I believe the answer is #2.  So, Albert should
configure his email reader to wrap long lines of text.  (Any modern email
reader will let you do this... e.g. Netscape, Outlook, (hopefully
Celeste), etc.)  Craig shouldn't have to do anything.

In fact, the world would probably be a better place if everyone followed
#2, since adding new <cr>'s to messages forwarded several times starts to
make them unreadable.

Also, if your email reader lets you set the number of columns at which to
wrap (I know Netscape does), you'll probably want to set it to something
like 90 columns, so that you don't get a nasty double-wrapping effect on
emails that already have <cr>'s inserted.

- Doug Way
  dway at mat.net

I'd call myself an artist
If I could make these feelings clear
But there's a million things to think about
When you're cutting off your ear
                - Scott Miller