Q: What makes Morphic slow?

Stefan Rieken StefanRieken at SoftHome.net
Fri Nov 19 16:02:47 UTC 1999

Henrik Gedenryd wrote:

> Could perhaps people with slow computers (PDAs and Pentiums according to the
> list :-) look at what is slow--with no need to dig into the code, just
> looking at whether it's responding to events, redrawing, startup, etc.
>
> It's a shame Morphic is too slow to use on PDAs, where easy UI prototyping
> would really be useful.
>
> Henrik

Hello,

Pentium owner here. I don't know if it really is a part of Morphic that
makes it slow, but when I make an image, or write something and then
rotate it, Squeak starts to get slow.

Never really digged it out, but maybe Squeak keeps on recomputing the
rotation instead of just making a new bitmap for the rotated image.
While this saves the images quality, it increases computing a lot. If
this is true, I would propose to have two versions of a rotated image:
one to save the original image bitmap, and one rotated version to
display. Every time an image needs to be recomputed (for instance when
selecting text), whe use the saved original and just compute it. But
when it is not necessary, whe just display the already rotated version.

Remind that I don't know if Squeak works that way. But I experience this
problem, and just started fantasising about where it could come from.

Greets,

Stefan