[Network] Some questions

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Nov 29 19:28:42 UTC 1999

>Hi all,
>
>maybe someone has one or more answers and let's me know:

>(environment is Squeak 2.6 on NT4.0/SP4)
>
>1) PWS>>reply:
> When replying using PWS (PWS>>reply:) I found that on a local host one does
>not need to send
>
>PWS success.
>PWS contentHTML; crlf.
>
>But when I tested the stuff over the Internet it didn't work. I had to add
>the two lines mentioned before. Why?

The browser is supposed to expect these things -- it's part of the
definition of HTTP.  It may be that some browsers are being kinder to
localhosts?

>2) PWS/Sockets
>When testing on a local host I found that clicking too fast in a browser
>Squeak would not respond anymore. Any clues?

I think that this is a known problem, and is one of the things that
is being dealt with in the current round of networking updates.  Does
the server go away permanently?  Our experience is that the server
may not respond for some period of time, but then comes back and
continues serving.

>4) ServerActions vs. WebPages
>Conceptually I have trouble understanding the need/use of ServerActions with
>regard to a web page. After all, a web server responds with pages and not
>actions. For example: ChatPage is a subclass of ServerAction, but to say
>that a ChatPage is-a ServerAction... Has someone pointers to standard
>solutions/concepts for designing a web server with many different pages
>(i.e. where each page is formed differently and behaves differently at the
>client side). Smalltalk embedded in HTML is not suitable for my purposes, I
>think (maintaining a customer and order database and several reports).
>Anyone?

The same ServerAction can return any number of web pages.  As long as
you're just serving web pages, you don't need to create any new
actions.  If you want to generate dynamic pages, you can use
different kinds of actions -- or you may find that embedded Smalltalk
serves your needs.  I was able to handle conference paper submission
and review with a system built mostly with embedded-Smalltalk pages.

Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu