SIREN sound synthesis vs. CSound

Richard Smol rsmol at bart.nl
Tue Nov 23 09:06:27 UTC 1999

John.Maloney at disney.com wrote:

> >Hi John,
> >
> >> What I'd really love to see is something like the Kyma
> >> system ported into Squeak. This system is like a graphical
> >> CSound, all built in Smalltalk. It requires a DSP box, however,
> >> which may be outside of your budget. Still, it could be just
> >> what you're looking for.
> >
> >Kyma? That sounds really interesting - what dialect does it run under and
> >where can one obtain some more information about it?
>
> They have a nice web site: www.symbolicsound.com.
>
> I think it is based on VisualWorks Smalltalk.

That's all very nice, but if I want to get me a 'graphical CSound' I'd
better
get me one of those (often excellent) software synthesizers like Reaktor
or
Audio Architect. Kyma is a tad too expensive. It's cool it uses
Smalltalk, but
I'd hate to buy me that proprietary hardware.

Well, thanks for the responses ;)

Greetz,

RS