ICRUISE

ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp
Thu Nov 25 15:26:53 UTC 1999

  Hi,

> This clears up a lot of my questions.  I was wondering: in the Zaurus
> models, is it the User Area or some other memory space that is the
> limitation on Squeak's ability to run?  Hmm.  Also, I'm confused about
> the operating system on Zauri.

  The memory system of the Zaurus is somewhat similar to the
desktop PC: it has (volatile) DRAM for the primary storage
and flash memory, instead of the rotating disks, for the
secondary storage.

  A part of flash momory is used by the OS (I don't know
exactly what it is used for).  The remaining part of flash
is left for the user to storing his data: the "User Area"
means that part.

  The OS does paging for the code segment, but not for the
data segment.  No paging for the data segment means that the
flat heap space that Squeak assumes can only be allocated in
DRAM.  It is the limitation on Squeak' ability.

  -- Yoshiki