SIREN sound synthesis vs. CSound

John Sarkela john_sarkela at 4thEstate.com
Mon Nov 22 14:41:58 UTC 1999

Kyma was created by C. Scaletti as part of her Masters degree work
at the University of Illinois. At OOPSLA 88 in San Diego she
demonstrated the Kyma system (which at that time had a big custom
DSP called Platypus that did the number crunching). As I recall,
it was an iconic workbench for manipulating sound. She gave a most
impressive performance piece on the exhibit floor that really showed
what Kyma could do. Kyma does music, but oh so much more. It
is really more of a comprehensive sound field manipulator.

The paper she presented was titled, "An Interactive Environment
for Object-oriented Music Composition and Sound Synthesis."
It was demonstrated using ParcPlace Smalltalk with a Macintosh client.

FWIW,
John