Squeak & Director

Ali Chamas alichamas at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 25 05:11:59 UTC 1999

Hi Jan!

--- Jan Theodore Galkowski
<algebraist at salonmember.com> wrote:
> But the Other goes along the lines of some
> things talked a lot about here, the idea of
> providing a richer, better Director...

Viva Revolution!!!! I've noticed a (small?) amount of
the Squeak community having been involved with
Director. Macromedia created an industry standard with
Director, roped alot of people into upgrades, and
along with Authorware & Flash, seemed to be the
dominant provider of multimedia development solutions.
You only have to look at how fast Squeak loads, how
many different operating systems it runs on, the
features (from BitBlts to AliceWorlds) plus it's
future direction to realise how significant a
replacement it could/should be for the developer
community. Imagine if the next generation of
multimedia developers were based in Smalltalk, not
some offspring of BASIC (hi Lingo). Imagine Smalltalk
being the future "industry standard" language for
multimedia development, and Squeak being the
environment!? Smalltalk is more elegant than any
scripting language could be, and just think, the same
open-sourced nature of a Smalltalk image would be your
content development environment too!! Perhaps this is
what the original vision of "Smalltalk, meant for
children to learn programming" was really about? It
would empower developers with so much more freedom to
create. Many Director developers i've known have
become quite good at Director, and turned it into a
little application development environment. They end
up hating it because of the closed nature of the
environment, and the lack of "real" powerful
programming tools. I would much rather see an industry
of open-sourced Smalltalkers, than a closed group of
"knowledge is power, and my lingo is bigger than your
lingo" Directors.

Just letting off 3 years of steam, ;-r
Ali.