Squeak VM versions + more on native

Stefan Rieken StefanRieken at SoftHome.net
Fri Nov 19 15:42:25 UTC 1999

Hi,

When a new version of Squeak is made, the Virtual Machine version number
changes with it. I have learnt however that most of the time there are
no changes made to the VM.

This confuses me a little. For instance, if I wanted to use the bare DOS
port. Version 2.2 (or thereabout) has been ported to DOS. Can I upgrade
the image to the latest version?

(I for one thought that the major part of the version numbers told about
changes in the VM, while the minor were about the image. But I guess I
am not right.)

Thanks for the links about "native" Squeak products running together
with Linux. I have one question about that: the Linux kernel provides
multitasking. Does Squeak use this service, or does it do it's own
multitasking? In the latter case, shouldn't it be of more profit if we
used an extremely basic kernel in "native" squeak (like DOS; e.g.
freeDOS) ?

Greets,

Stefan