ANSI Smalltalk standard

JArchibald at aol.com JArchibald at aol.com
Wed Nov 24 00:18:57 UTC 1999

=> 11/23/99 9:28:34 AM EST, bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De =>
<< Word and RTF versions are ready for download at
ftp://www.smalltalksystems.com/sts-pub/x3j20/ >>

=> 11/23/99 9:32:30 AM EST, stp at create.ucsb.edu =>
<< I just found a copy of the V1.9 ANSI standard on-line as a PDF file at
ftp://ftp.create.ucsb.edu/pub/stp/ANSI_v1_9.PDF >>

To all--

The above documents are entitled: "Draft American National Standard for
Information Systems - Programming Languages - Smalltalk." They represent the
1.9 version of the draft. The "permission notice"  is as follows:

  Notice
    This is a draft proposed American National Standard. As such, this is not
    completed standard. The Technical  Committee may modify this document
    as a result of comments received during public review and its approval as
    standard.

    Permission is granted to members of NCITS, its technical committees, and
    their associated task groups to reproduce this document for the purposes
of
    NCITS standardization activities without further permission, provided
this
    notice is included.  All other rights are reserved. Any commercial or
for-profit
    reproduction is strictly prohibited.

With that in mind, these are not the final, published versions of the ANSI
standard. When the standard was released last December, I got a copy from
ANSI, and reviewed it page by page with the v.1.9 draft standard. As I recall
(I can't put my hands on the published version right now), the published
document differed from the version 1.9 draft standard in only one significant
way (though I might have missed some other minor details). All of the
"Rationale" sections, of which there are a great number, had been removed.
So, in some sense, the v.1.9 draft is more complete than the published
standard, if you consider the Rationale paragraphs to be of value; however,
they do not form part of the standard.

=> 11/23/99 9:32:30 AM EST, stp at create.ucsb.edu =>
<< I sure hope it's not strictly copyrighted... >>

As I recall, the copyright notice on the published standard was fairly
strict. But, as mentioned above, I can't cite it here because I cannot lay my
hands on the document itself.

May the 21st century minimize obfuscation (...not very likely...),
Jerry.

Jerry L. Archibald

systemObjectivesIncorporated