A Proposal for Project Layers

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Tue Nov 16 20:15:12 UTC 1999

"Josh Flowers" <josh at i33.com>
>First off let me say thank you Dan.  I like it, I like it a lot.

Thanks for your enthusiasm.  Hope we can keep it simple.

>Would it be possible to just have a tree as a global variable that keeps track of the
>class hierarchy?  Each node would have a pointer to a class, possibly some other relevant
>information (last modified, etc...), and pointers to subclass nodes.  I don't know if this
>would make importing/exporting any easier, but it was the first thing to jump to mind.

We could certainly do this, but I'm trying to REDUCE the redundant structures that have to be maintained and considered.  So I'm inclined to err on the side of minimalism, and see if we can "squeak" by.

>If project layers are implemented, it should probably mean a major effort in terms of
>"organizing" Squeak.  For instance all of the HTML specific code currently in String could
>be moved to HTMLPackage String.  This is probably for the best but it will probably be a
>lot of work (as a newbie I can tell you that some of the base classes like String are
>almost impossible to use effectively because of all the code creep, i.e. who can find a
>great method like correctAgainst: when it's buried in asIRCLowercase:'s).

Well our first goal is precisely to put out an experimental Squeak that has been "packaged" along the lines of the current system categories.  Our next goal after that will be a version using image segments that is a full Squeak release, but that can run in less space if you don't use all the packages at once.

	- Dan