[REQUEST] updated documentation

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Mon Nov 22 09:23:09 UTC 1999

> 3) X Window under UNIX is often configured to bring
>    a window to the front when the mouse is over it.
>    (Focus-follows-mouse with auto-rise).
>    Maybe that would be cool to have in Squeak, too?
>    Just do it: bring up the halo for a SystemWindow,
>    "Browse Class", add these two methods:
>
>     handlesMouseOver: evt
>   	^ true
>
>     mouseEnter: evt
> 	^ self activate.

This description is not at all understandable (esp. for newbies) ---
here is a better one (I hope):

Auto-rise in Morphic
--------------------

X Window under UNIX is often configured to bring a window to the front when
the mouse is over it. (Focus-follows-mouse with auto-rise).

Maybe that would be cool to have in Squeak, too? Just do it!

-> Open some windows, eg. some Browsers, Transcripts, Filelists, etc
-> Bring up the Halo (those color-dots) of one of these Windows.
      -> right-click (Unix, maybe cmd-click on Mac) on one of the
         Windows until the Halo of the "SystemWindow"-Morph appears.
         (There is a label with the String "SystemWindow" under the
         Window, the Halo surrounds the whole window.)
-> Go to the grey Halo-dot (at the right). Hold the left mouse-button
   down. A menu pops up.
-> click on the  "Browse Morph class" item
-> A class hierachy browser is started, with the "SystemWindowMorph" class
   highlighted

So, now we can start to change the class:

-> Add a category called "event handling"
       ->bring up the pop-up menue on the upper middle pane
         (the categorylist), select "new category", select "event handling"
-> Now type in the folowing on the lower pane:

    handlesMouseOver: evt
        ^ true

Type "alt s" (cmd-s on a Mac, I think)

delete the text, type in the following:

    mouseEnter: evt
        ^ self activate.

"alt-s".

No move your mouse to one of the other Windows, and they will come
up to the front automagically.

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de phone at home:(0721)614235 @work:(0721)608-2749
The Difference between today and yesterday is not so much what has changed