Names of Squeaky Things

John-Reed Maffeo rlpa80 at email.sps.mot.com
Fri Nov 12 15:47:57 UTC 1999

This naming thing still has be a bit confused. Squeak has somehow
come to be associated with a mouse (an association which predates
Disney?) and no one has yet offered a reliable explanation of how the
name came to be applied to this particular dialect of Smalltalk.

My current guess is that a squeak is what small talk sounds like in
the real world when it is speeded up tremendously - I learned this
in an episode of Startrek;)

So is the elemental naming metaphor for Squeaky things mice and/or
the rodentia in general or should it be some other grand concept?

For the record, my wife finds it hard to believe that I am doing
serious work when I am Squeaking.

John-Reed Maffeo
Mesa, Az