ICRUISE

ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp
Thu Nov 25 07:44:40 UTC 1999

  Hi,

> The ICRUISE currently lists at 160,000 JPY, or 1,531.39 USD, or
> 1,504.97 EUR.

> And the MI-310 Zaurus Color Pocket (karaa poketto) lists at 110,000
> yen--that was the other machine that Yoshiki mentioned recently, with
> the reflective LCD.  Oddly enough, these two machines list cheaper
> than the Power Zaurus pair, but Yoshiki says on his page that the
> ICRUISE works better, and he implies that the Color Pocket does as
> well as an ICRUISE with a small screen.

  160,000 yen is the "official" price of ICRUISE.  The "shop
price" is around 110,000-130,000 yen.  (You can buy the used
one under 80,000 yen).  Note that the camera unit is not
included in the price.

  MI-310 Color Pocket is not the one I mentioned.  What I
wrote about was MI-C1 (that is likely to be called "Power
Zaurus 3").  The official price of the MI-C1 is 88,000 yen.
The shop price would be around 70,000 yen.

  The main obstacle to run Squeak on Zaurus series is the
DRAM size.  All models other than ICRUISE or MI-C1 have 2MB
DRAM and only 720k is available for Squeak's heap.  It's far
from "usable".

  ICRUISE and MI-C1 have 8MB DRAM and 4.5MB is available for
Squeak's heap.  It is not enough, but usable.

> The Color Pocket is very pretty.

  Note that MI-C1 is smaller than Color Pocket (we call it
"KARA POKE"), has better reflective LCD, and is cheaper.

  One problem of MI-C1 is that it doesn't have the modem: we
(Japanese) can connect the cell phone to it to make it IP
reachabe, but it means that you (who dooesn't live in Japan)
cannot make it IP reachable anymore.

# It's shame on SHARP that they don't support the ethernet
# cards!

  Anyway, surviving Zauri (Thank you for telling me the
plural of "Zaurus", John (Duncan)!) today are ICRUISE, iGeti
(MI-P[12]), MI-C1, and MT-200 ("Communication Pal").  The
"usable" are ICRUISE and MI-C1, although Squeak can run on
all "M-" models.

# Yes. MI-P1, called iGeti, is another model of Zaurus with
# monochrome LCD, which is around 30,000 yen.

# MI-110 and MI-106 are called "Zaurus Pocket", obsoleted by
# MI-310.

  -- Yoshiki