Squeak Socket Primitives

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Sat Nov 13 14:12:34 UTC 1999

> From: Henrik Gedenryd <Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se>
>
> > We'll still need a Squeak that runs under Mac OS API's. That
> > one will have to use the OpenTransport API for sockets.

Wouldn't that be able to use GUSI?  That would pretty much unify the
socket support code on the basis of the UNIX port (I am currently
using that code unchanged in my MacOS-X-Server port, the same goes
for most of the non-GUI support code).

> My suggestion, while not knowing all the reasons why you consider it
> necessary, is to skip the port of the current Mac VM to
OpenTransport, since
> the OS X VM will use BSD Sockets (does already).

That sounds pretty reasonable.

> The only problem is that the OS X schedule seems to be slipping.
Current
> estimates point at May 2K. Marcel, can you see from you new CD
whether this
> looks reasonable?

Haven't gotten that yet.  It takes those CDs take a while to swim
the Atlantic.

There's been some talk of a customer preview early in the year with
the final customer release coming sometime in summer.  Then again,
I'm not really into Apple Kremlinology.  They'll ship when they
ship...

Anyway, I've been doing some more work on the VM.  Current TOS is
sound support, hoping to get that done today.  I moved the
interpreter into a separate thread yesterday, vastly simplifying the
interaction with the Cocoa frameworks and making two-way calling at
least principally feasible.

Marcel