Sound on Linux?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Nov 16 13:20:26 UTC 1999

"Craig H. Anderson" <craigha at home.com> wrote:

> Any one out there using sound with Linux?
> I just got a sound card and installed the ALSA
> drivers with OSS emulation.  I would like to
> try out Lex Spoon's sqUnixSound.c driver
> with Squeak 2.6.  I'm working up my courage
> to try this.  Has anyone else done this?  Anyone
> hacking on the Linux sound?

There is a sound driver in Ian Piumarta's standard release, now, so you
might just try that one to get started.  That said, my driver still has
some features that aren't in there yet:

	- recording support
	- insertSamples support, so that sound effects come out more quickly
	- support for 8-bit sound cards and for big-endian sound cards

However, I haven't tried this driver in a while, so it might take some
fiddling to get it working with the most recent Squeak's....

Lex