Some questions about Squeak

Russell Allen russell.allen at firebirdmedia.com
Mon Nov 29 00:21:08 UTC 1999

Stephane DUCASSE (ducasse at iam.unibe.ch) wrote:
>**I tried Squeak 2.6 on Unix and I got a lot of error linked with the
>BallonEngine, while on the mac and PC I got no problem at all.

I have also been having a problem with 2.6 for Solaris.

I just downloaded Squeak2.6 to use on a UltraSparc 5, running Solaris 2.6
(hey, the numbers match :)

The VM version is given as:

sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1 2.6 #3  Mon Oct 18 19:26:56 MET DST 1999 gcc
egcs-2.91.66
SunOS fricotin.inria.fr 5.5.1 Generic_103640-28 sun4u sparc

However, when I run squeak, a get walkbacks on a primitive failing,

primitive: 'gePrimitiveInitializeBuffer'

(this is a BalloonEngine primitive - morphic pretty much doesn't work)

Swapping the VM for a Squeak2.5 VM works, so something appears to have gone
wrong since then.

Is this the behaviour you are seeing?

:)
Russell