Self 4.1 for Mac OS Its too slow to be used for anythinguseful.

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Wed Nov 10 03:09:35 UTC 1999

At 12:55 05.11.99 -0600, you wrote:

> After reading the blurbs on the self site about how fast self was (half as
> fast as C & so on.) I downloaded it and tried it out on my iMac 233.
> Its really very interesting but it is way to slow to use for anything.
> I find it too slow to even mess about with.

This is because the Mac version doesn't use the optimizing compiler (yet).
The SELF system features two compilers.  One compiler translates SELF's
byte codes very directly into machine code without performing any
optimization.  This is slow and can be compared with a simply bytecode
interpreter.  The other compiler (with is missing) performs a large range
of sophisticated optimizations (based on runtime type analysis) and is the
true reason for SELF being so fast.

bye
--
Stefan         //  I can program the universe
Matthias Aust //           unless the power fails...