Closing in on 2.7

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Mon Nov 29 22:52:17 UTC 1999

Folks -

I want to close 2.7 to changes in the next day or so.  I have a couple of Scamper changes from the GA Tech folks, and a few other things, but I'd like to end it there for now.  If you have a burning need, or I've left out something that is important, please let me know offline.  On top of all this, I hope then to put out Squeak Name Spaces v1, and Ian's J3 changes, and then spend a few days testing the whole assembly.

As soon as it looks stable, we'll call it soup and write a new set of archives (rats -- we still don't have the Squeak decompressing non-line-feeding, one-file-runs-on-all-platforms self-extracting release package).

I'm expecting neither SNS nor J3 to be fully operational at the time of the 2.7 release (but then, who knows ;-).  I just want to get most of the changes in, and the rest of the system stable.  Then we will have things in place for a lot of people to help test SNS and J3 going forward without having to absorb a lot of changes.  I'm expecting that 2.7 (besides being an ever-better Squeak of course) will mainly be a beta testing platform for SNS, J3, segment swapping (which becomes more interesting with SNS), and a nice foreign function interface that Andreas and others are working on.

That's the plan, anyway.

	- Dan, for SqC