Faith of Correspondents?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Nov 17 12:37:25 UTC 1999

Bijan Parsia <bparsia at email.unc.edu> wrote:
> >The biggest stability bugs we've found at GT have been in dealing
with
> >the situation where sockets have run out.  The second biggest problem
is
> >in the way sockets are shut down; TCP is picky about how it's down,
and
> >if you do it wrong, the connection will get aborted early.  We've
done a lot
> >of beating on Squeak networking, and not seen a need for any
primitives
> >other than the listenOn:backlog: one that got added recently.
>
> Hmm. I'm not sure how that one is supposed to work, and how it helps,
etc.
> Pointer?

It's the one that solves simultaneous requests, in the way that you
originally meant simultaneous requests :).  Specifically, it lets
multiple connections queue up on a single listening socket, instead of
requiring you to create a new listening socket for each connection.  One
specific case where this really helps is if you have HTML pages on a
Squeak server which inline images that are on that same server--web
browsers will end up requesting the inlined images all at the same time.

Lex