running headless on Unix

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Nov 12 02:59:00 UTC 1999

On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 01:33:53AM -0800, Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi Ian and Georg--
>
> 	What's the current preparation procedure for running a fresh Squeak image headless on Unix? I couldn't quite find the right thing on the Net just now.

This does not answer the question you're trying to ask, but you may find
it convenient during development to launch headless images from Squeak
using UnixProcess>>forkHeadlessProcessAndDoThenQuit.

For example, to run a server in a headless Squeak and a client in the Squeak
you are already running, you can evaluate:

  UnixProcess forkHeadlessSqueakAndDoThenQuit: [Socket remoteTestServerTCP].
  Socket remoteTestClientTCP

This requires the OSProcess plugin and VM changes.

- Dave

p.s. Sorry about using an example from the Socket class; you can substitute
a more interesting Correspondent example if you like, but you get the idea.