benchmarks (was: Self 4.1 for Mac OS Its too slow to be usedfor anything useful.

John.Maloney at disney.com John.Maloney at disney.com
Wed Nov 10 01:23:42 UTC 1999

Jecel:

Self inlines several of the recursive calls in benchFib, so
I think the numbers you got are accurate: Self is 40 times
faster on this benchmark. Because of the inlining, it is
probably quite a bit faster than C, as well.

Dave says he found and fixed a couple of Mac-OS related
performance leaks, so anyone interested in Self might want
to get the latest version. Also, an earlier version ran
much better with Mac virtual memory turned on. I don't
know if that's still the case, but it's worth a try.

Interesting that only Squeak was up to computing the geometric
means. But couldn't Self have done it using big nums?

	-- John