ThingLab installation problem

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Wed Oct 20 17:44:59 UTC 1999

>Dear Dan
>I tried to install ThingLab V2 on my Squeak 2.6 (windows-version), for
>developing a process simulation. When I try to file in "fileInAll.st" the
>"ThingLab_PreDefs" are filed in properly (?), but afterwards, when in-filing
>"ThingLab.cs" an error occurs:
>"Error: You may not create any more undefined objects-use nil".
>As I'm quite new to Squeak my efforts to trace back the error did not
>succeed in debugging.
>Is there any trivial fault? Could you help me?
>Thanks in advance
>Thomas J.

Thomas -

Thanks for the alert.  This occurs due to a change in Squeak's class definition facility.  I found I was able to get it all to fileIn and work in 2.6 by including the following definition before filing in ThingLab.cs:

!UndefinedObject methodsFor: 'ThingLab' stamp: 'di 10/20/1999 09:30'!
isPrototype
	"message defined here to prevent error of asking for the prototype when the
	definition hasn't been filed in yet"

	^ false! !

I would set about doing a new release of these files, except I really want to wait until we integrate this with Morphic.  ThingLab is just crying to have all its things (points, lines, midpointLines, etc) be morphs.  This will take it out of the bounds of the browser, add color and let us throw away all the double-buffered display code that is already supported in Morphic (student project waiting to happen ;-).  It would also be pretty simple then to integrate with 3D (is THIS ever a student project!!)

	- Dan