a Frequently Asked Question :-)

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Mon Oct 25 23:46:27 UTC 1999

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Stefan Rieken wrote:

> I need to know how I can use (import and export) a goodie. Because this
> must be a Frequently Asked Question, please put your answer on this
> Swiki page (about goodies):
>
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak.390
>
> so that every dummy like me can find the it. I have written my question
> on the top of this page.

A goodie (or tool or application) for Squeak will usually be in the form
of a "changeset" (.cs) or "file-in" (.st) Smalltalk source code file.

Since this is a beginner's question, these instructions are at the
beginner level.

To load a changeset (or file-in) into Squeak, do the following:

- Bring up the main Squeak pop-up menu.  (Mouse-click anywhere on the
background area in Squeak.)
- From the main menu, select "open...".
- From the sub-menu which then appears, select "file list".
- This opens a File List window which lets you browse files on your
computer.  By default it will be in the Squeak directory (the directory
with the .image, .changes, etc, files).
- Assuming you've already put the goodie changeset file in your Squeak
directory, it should show up in the list of files in the upper right pane
of the File List window.
- Select the changeset .cs/.st file.
- Bring up the pop-up menu for the upper-right pane.  (This will be a
right-click in the pane for MS Windows, an option-click for Mac, etc.  Or,
if you're in Morphic, you can use the menu button on the scrollbar.)
- From the pop-up menu, select "fileIn" or "file into new change set".
Generally, it's better to use "file into new change set" so that you can
keep the changes separate from any Squeak changes you've made yourself,
but either will work.
- Your goodie is now loaded and ready to use.

If this goodie is a tool or application which needs to be started up
within Squeak, hopefully the author of the changeset wrote an instruction
in the comments at the beginning of the changeset on what command to use
to start it.  If not, you may need to open a Change Sorter window
("open..."/"simple change sorter"), and browse through the class-side
methods to see if there are any example methods which start things up.

Also, these days, more goodies are written for the Morphic user interface
than for the older default MVC interface, so it's probably a good idea to
make sure that you're in a Morphic project when loading the goodie.  (Most
goodies will usually specify whether they're written for Morphic or MVC,
if they're user-interface related at all.)  To open a Morphic project,
select "open..." and then "project (morphic)" from the main menu.  Then go
to the new Unnamed window and select "enter" from its menu.  You're now
inside Morphic, and you can repeat the steps above to load a goodie.

Hope this helps.  I'll add this to the Squeak FAQ page on the Swiki.

- Doug Way
  EAI/Transom Technologies, Ann Arbor, MI
  http://www.transom.com
  dway at mat.net, @eai.com