TeamTool/Version-Management for Squeak?

Ken G. Brown kbrown at tnc.com
Fri Oct 22 18:04:52 UTC 1999

I agree that a database solution (distributed maybe?) rather than a
file based system for version control might be a good way to go,
written in Squeak for all the associated benefits.

I would like to be able to do the following among other things I'm
sure I haven't yet thought of:

1. Know what is the current complete master list of available change
sets with versions, and retrieve the interesting ones that I do not
yet have into my local database from wherever on the www virtual
repository they reside.

2. Be able to easily tell which change sets (down to class, method
versions) have been already included in the current release from
Squeak Central. eg. how much of Stephen Pope's STP12 is already there?

3. Detect when a change set will be stomping a previously installed
change set. List change set contents (class, method) and easily do
diffs to see where they have been changed or where they intersect one
another. eg if I install STP12, what is going to be affected? What
Squeak Central functionality will be lost?

4. List/select change sets by author, date, version, category etc.

5. Easily install and uninstall change set groups. ie only install
those related to Morphic, but not MVC. Or perhaps only install those
parts of STP12 which are independent extensions. Or only those from a
particular author. Or only GUI related.

etc.

    Ken G. Brown

At 9:06 -0700 on 99/10/22,  Tim Rowledge is rumored to have written: