Forget O'Reilly, Lets talk servers!

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Sun Oct 10 13:25:04 UTC 1999

On Sun, 10 Oct 1999 06:28:13 EDT JArchibald at aol.com wrote:
>If you don't mind my asking, what is monthly charge? I assume that is
>charm.net (though I have recently been forced to realize the distinction that
>some face (now me, I guess) between your ISP and PP (Presence Provider)).
>
>Also, are you willing to host PWS service (for a fee)? I'm sure a "separate
>box" arrangement can be worked out.

Hi Jerry,

CharmNet's residential service prices are: 384/128 (download/upload) at $51.95 per month, and 768/384 service at $99.95 per month. Their web site also lists four business packages running from $137 to $642 per month. I picked the cheaper of the residential services and when it is installed (any day now!), I would be open to an experimental server test. I say experimental because there are a couple of unknowns here: 1) how much traffic the server would generate and 2) at what traffic level the sysadmin begins to think this isn't really residential anymore. I'm guessing that the traffic will be light initially and that, if it grows, we can negotiate something with CharmNet. So, with the understanding that we might have to turn it off at any time, I would be willing to give it a shot.

Cheers,
Bob