Java inside Smalltalk

Allen Wirfs-Brock Allen_Wirfs-Brock at Instantiations.com
Fri Oct 1 15:56:42 UTC 1999

At 09:28 AM 10/1/99 +0200, Martin Luptak wrote:
>What about idea putting Java into Smalltalk. Either Java VM running in
>Smalltalk, or encapsulation
>Java object into Smalltalk (they could live in one space - image,
>integrating their object models), or
>some other kinds of emulation/integration Java in ST environment.
>Doesn't someone know about projects concerning this?

In addition to Smalltalk/X, which others have mentioned, there have been at
least two other major efforts to host Java within a Smalltalk environment.

The most successful such system is surly IBM's VisualAge for Java. While
IBM does not actively publicize these fact, it is not a secret that
VisualAge for Java is build upon a Smalltalk base. A common virtual machine
is used to execute both Smalltalk and Java code and control flow can
transfer between Java and Smalltalk methods. I believe that if you could
look under the covers you would find that many Java "native methods" are in
fact implemented in Smalltalk. The majority of the development environment
is implemented in Smalltalk code.

Objectshare Inc developed to a working prototype of a system called Frost
that also combined Java and Smalltalk within a single image using a single
virtual machine. It worked by translating Java methods into Smalltalk
bytecode. A short description of Frost can still be found on the
Objectshare web site at:
http://www.objectshare.com/products/frost/frost897.htm

Allen_Wirfs-Brock at Instantiations.com